December 21, 2014

cherry pie bars

When I saw all of the yummy looking "Cherry Pie Bars" being pinned on Pinterest before Thanksgiving, I knew I had to try them!  I was shocked when they turned out way better than I could have ever imagined – usually I experience an initial FAIL with any first time recipe.  Not this time -I’ve already added the recipe to my favorite recipe app (Paprika) and will definitely be making them again next year!

If I had known how good they were going to turn out, I would have taken better pictures.  I guess this post will have to be updated next Thanksgiving with better pictures.

Bar Ingredients
1 cup butter (softened)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 cups flour
2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling

Glaze Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2-3 T milk

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • Cream butter, sugar & salt until light and fluffy.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
  • Add vanilla and almond extracts
  • Slowly add flour
  • Spread 3 cups of this batter into a greased 15x10 baking pan
  • Spread cherry pie filling on top of the batter
  • Drop remaining batter over the filling in drops
  • Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown
  • Cool completely in pan 
  • For glaze, mix powdered sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency.  These amounts make a LOT of icing - see picture below.  I should have used less!!!
  • Drizzle over top 
Thanksgiving 043Thanksgiving 049Thanksgiving 136

Linked @ Baking in Pyjamas

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great dessert, I love cherry pie. I'm opening Sweet and Savoury Sundays early this week to make up for missing last weeks, so be sure to stop by and link up at the earlier time of Saturday 8am UK time. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips